Very early on in my business career, I remember my father telling me something that has stuck with me now for 30 years. That was “If you think you’re ‘holding your own’ in business, forget about it. In actuality, you’re declining – because, while you are supposedly ‘holding your own,’ your competition is going around you.”
I think that there is a great wisdom in what he said and, over the years, I have heard other people say similar things. Of course, over the years, I have also seen a great deal happen in terms of more and more folks talking about “continual improvement” which echoes this idea that, if you’re not getting better, your competition is going around you.
We believe that Continuing Education is a great resource for contractors who want to continually push their businesses to increasing levels of success. Continual Education can take place in many forms including attending trade shows and conferences, taking college classes, being a part of peer network and benchmarking groups, and self-study by reading books, listening to podcasts, and watching training videos.
To that end, we want to bring you a few ideas in this issue of the Residential Metal Roofing Executive Report which may help you in your quest for continuing education.
- Metalcon is the annual international trade show for all things related to metal in the building frame and envelope arena. It will be held this year in Las Vegas and the dates are October 18 – 20. To attend the trade show, you can register free of charge using ISAIAHI as the Promo Code. Metalcon includes a robust educational conference at extra charge. Speakers this year include Frank Farmer of American metal Roofs on “Growing Your Residential Metal Roofing Company” and “Increase Your Residential Metal Roof Company’s Profitability” and myself on “Lead With Spice”. If you attend, Metalcon, be sure to look us up in booth 1231.
- C12 Group is a national organization of Christian business leaders, with local chapters scattered across the country. As iron sharpens iron, participation in a group like this can hold you accountable while inspiring and encouraging you.
- Metal Roofing Consultants is an organization of successful and experienced metal roofing professionals who are willing to work with you to help you grow your business.
- Metal Roofing 101 Video Series, created by Isaiah Industries, contains numerous short, easy videos on roofing-related issues.
- Good To Great has quickly become a classic amongst business books. Written by Jim Collins, it tells you how to get the right people on the bus with your company, and how to inspire them to greatness.
- Patrick Lencioni has written many great books on how to lead and inspire your team. If you’re looking for something to read that will change your outlook on inter-personal communication and dynamics, you can’t go wrong with anything of his.
- Simon Sinek is a real thought-leader today with how to drive customers to your business and also how to relate to millennials. You want to be sure to watch his TED Talks!
Here are a few other great minds of today who might help you with your personal education and your continuing quest to grow your business:
- Peter Shankman on public relations
- Dan Pink on understanding your customers
- Seth Godin on brand management
- Jeb Blount on sales and customer service
Finally, here are a few books that are on my stack right now which look really good. If you get to them before I do, be sure to let me know what you think!
- Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small
- They Ask You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today’s Digital Consumer
- Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses
- Digital Sense: The Common Sense Approach to Effectively Blending Social Business Strategy, Marketing Technology, and Customer Experience
Please drop me a note if there are any continuing education vehicles that have been especially helpful to you over the years. I’d love to hear about them and share them with others. I am sure that you have some favorite books out there for your business reading – what are they? Of course, we also hope that the Residential Metal Roofing Executive Reportis at the top of your list of valued resources!
Keep up the good work! Keep growing and improving!